Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Louise Penny

I finished Bury Your Dead quite a while ago. I've been hemming and hawing around about talking about it because it is so complex and difficult to talk about without ruining the book for other readers. I grasped completely the brouhaha on Louise Penny's blog when someone blurted something out. It's difficult not to. Let's just say that I peaked ahead on this one to reassure myself about one of my favorite characters.

There are four stories going on at once in the book. Some are told in flashbacks, some in historical documents, some direct drama. I thought from the blurbs I had read that this was going to be similar to Daughter of Time. It does have that element to it, but it so much more than that.

The book really turns Gamache into Sherlock Holmes or even better, Nero Wolfe. His detecting is almost all done through reading documents, even in the present day murder. He does meet and talk to people, but not as much as a usual Three Pines mysteries. He does very much let other people be his "Archie". And his solving of the Champlain mystery is indeed straight out of Josephine Tey.

I adore all the minor characters in these books and was relieved when they came back in with such vigor. The use of Clara as a fifth columnist was hysterically funny. And of course any time that Ruth is around is fun. The poignancy of Ruth and the duck is an absolutely stunning element. It's just bizarre, but wonderful.

And this use of the minor characters is the reason I love these books. There are comic elements in all the books, but at the heart, something deadly serious is going on. There is a murder and it's not funny. And it is usually dangerous. Louise Penny knows how to combine all the elements of life in a story about a murder investigation.

And although I am absolutely character driven, this book, and by extension all the Three Pines books, is also technically brilliant. I normally hate weaving around from one story to another and letting out bits of story drop by painful drop. I might in less skillful hands have called the story about the raid sandbagging. Because the characters know the whole story--it just isn't revealed all at once. But the pacing and all the distractions of the three other stories kept me hanging. on. every. morsel.

A fabulous denouement and almost a cliffhanger at the end of the book. But a character one, not a plot one. What will happen next? The last book left me stunned. This book left me in despair at how long it will be until the next one comes out. How will she dodge the Cabot Cove conundrum and find another way to kill someone in the eensy town? Will everyone welcome Gamache back with open arms? And what complicated technical problem will Louise Penny set for herself? I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment